Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Badgers can climb trees



Badger and I have a combined age of 58.

These pictures, and our lovely walk in the woods yesterday evening, made me realise how much I appreciate the fact that my body still feels much as it did when I was seven. I can still climb trees. I still stand up on my bicycle, I ride with no hands, I do wheelies - and now can do more on my Heelys!

There are bits of me that are showing some wear and tear. I've had a bit of poking around done, and need a bit more doing. Some patching up will happen later this year, and I definitely feel a little less elastic than at previous times in my life, but on the whole my body mostly feels like the well worn pair of jeans that have been my favourites forever. A little bashed and battered, mended in pockets and on knees, but it just fits.

I haven't ever looked in the mirror to see whether I have lines appearing. I genuinely don't care. I did have a brief wobble when my ex found a few grey hairs on my head, but I'm actually utterly ambivalent about that as well now I've recovered from the shock.

But, the day I see a perfect Climbing Tree, and don't start plotting my route up it ... or come to a grassy slope and don't contemplate rolling down it ... I will apply for my bus pass and subscribe to reader's digest.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

I shouldn't worry - I am 52 and a bit fat and more than a bit grey, but I'm still up to climbing trees and rolling down slopes, and my body doesn't feel much different - in fact it feels better because I dislike it less and am nicer to it! Giving up such things is much more often to do with *thinking* you're too old, or perhaps with minding that you can't climb as high or roll as fast - which is silly!

27 March, 2007 15:45  
Blogger Caroline said...

I can't remember the last time I climbed a tree. I'm clumsy and a bit accident prone.

But show me snow and regardless of what I'm doing or wearing, I have to lie in it. And I love to stand in storm rain.

When I stop thinking that a rainbow has a pot of gold at the end of it and when warm rain doesn't tingle my senses - then perhaps we could consider a joint reader's digest subscription?

Life has to be about climbing trees and accepting that grey hair grows.

xx

xx

27 March, 2007 17:40  
Blogger Random Reflections said...

Spring evenings are great. as are walks in the woods.

The age we feel we are is a strange thing but surely you are only as old as the woman you feel?

27 March, 2007 18:56  
Blogger Stray said...

Jean! That is excellent. We must go out and climb a tree together one day :) A fab location for meditation me thinks!

Caroline, I prescribe at least one tree climb per year. Rain is good too, though I didn't know they had the warm kind in your neck of the woods. Snow angels are a wonderful form of expression ...

RR, you have a very good point. And if she's only as old as the woman see feels as well ... well it all gets a bit circular doesn't it?

27 March, 2007 20:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home