Friday, June 22, 2007

Lost and found


Oh! Cas's book launch was soooo lovely. She read beautifully and I don't know where she got that calm and steady voice from but it was gorgeous and I was so proud. Will blog more about that over the weekend, I can't believe it's been a week already!

It wasn't a good weekend to be ooop north. Ruby and I needed an ark ... we worried that even if we found one we might not be let in, not being 2 by 2 and all that. I was driving over to Harrogate when the rivers started bursting their banks. The top road was already blocked by a landslide, and now the bottom road was flooding too. Roads were closing faster than I could keep track ... I had Badger on the phone doing web-searches to try to find me a clear route, but the traffic sites were behind the flow of water, the diversions were changing every few minutes as police struggled to clear broken down vehicles and accidents.

I found my way, somehow, through crawling traffic, to Knaresborough, where my friend lives. She was struggling to get back from Leeds and I was panicking that I might be stranded in Knaresborough for days, unable to get back. Waiting for my friend to arrive home I went to look for petrol and found a retail park to loiter in. I pulled up in a space and started flicking through my radio, wishing I had a clue what the local stations might be.

And then I found it. The station that would come to my rescue, running a constant update of eyewitness reports about which roads were closed and open, where the traffic was worst and which alternative routes were giving most success. Am I odd for thinking this is kind of eerie?

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger The Moon Topples said...

Nope, you're not weird. That's legitimately creepy.

In the first pic, not only does the water look terribly dangerous, but also those cars are driving on the wrong side of the road! Shame on them.

23 June, 2007 01:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stray Female indeed, and one who is already taking years of her age it seems by the figures in the bottom pic!:0)

As to the boating picture at the top, I thought you were going to go walking??? not take lessons in scua diving after the launch.

But now I see it this word launch has been the trouble all along, I continue to see it as lunch but should have been see it as water transport.

Glad you sailed back safely.

23 June, 2007 06:07  
Blogger Jenny Beattie said...

No, Moon Topples is right. That's definitely eerie. I missed all the wet excitement apart from a tropical rainstorm when I turned up at Heathrow!
Good to see you again!
JJx

23 June, 2007 08:44  
Blogger sheepish said...

Glad you made it through the storms, shall look forward to reading about the launch, very appropriate considering the weather!!!!

23 June, 2007 13:52  
Blogger Misssy M said...

It's either a Stray FM chnnel or a radio station run by Saint Ray.

Was it much cop?

24 June, 2007 19:05  
Blogger Jon M said...

Very stray-nge! Does Stray FM have a different frequency each time you try to tune in? :-)

24 June, 2007 22:33  
Blogger Probably the best blog in the world said...

So Ray is a 23 year old female to male self injurer? The radio station did indeed look creep. But there is never a bad time to be oop north. :o)

25 June, 2007 11:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

97.2

Yay for you Stray, the radio station is named after a large area of parkland near the centre of Harrogate, were you?

Kind regards

25 June, 2007 13:33  
Blogger XXYXX said...

Dear ♥Stray♥, glad you had such an "interesting" adventure oop north.

You don't get that sort of challenge in sedate Surrey.

You can relive its bucolic pleasures by listening to Stray FM online.

It was lovely to meet you and Badger, and thanks for the lift. It was a special night.

25 June, 2007 15:02  
Blogger Pants said...

Pffaww! Transatlantic softies - you want eerie, get lost in the Australian bush - Wolf Creek, Walkabout, I could go on...

xxx

Pants

25 June, 2007 18:50  
Blogger hesitant scribe said...

Ew - awful drivin' weather but what a fabulous name for a radio station!

25 June, 2007 23:19  
Blogger XXYXX said...

I'll be faintly amused to know that I had a long drive home last night through the land of Road Closed signs (actually, the Council ran out of Road Closed signs, and sandbags).

Rain, Rain, Rain ... OK, enough already, we've done the whole Rain thing!

26 June, 2007 11:21  
Blogger Ms Melancholy said...

I saw a Stray FM car today - I think the dog bus would look fabulous painted up to match. Thanks so much for coming up, lovely Stray, and acting as driver- like Bobo said, it was a special night. I may even get round to blogging it sometime.

26 June, 2007 17:49  
Blogger purplefiona said...

eerie but good. I love the fact that you took a picture of it, for some reason. The recording of minutiae is so important to blogging :)

28 June, 2007 22:59  
Blogger trousers said...

Hi stray, I thought I'd drop by and say hello, since its been a while!

I still come over and read your blog but I've been a little busy lately.

Hope all's well!

30 June, 2007 19:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home