Sunday, June 03, 2007

Completing a cycle

Tomorrow this blog will be 1 year old.

Completely coincidentally, tomorrow I also have a long arranged date with lovely Ms Melancholy and Cas, on a day chosen before I realised it was my blog's birthday.

Fitting though.

In the last year I have, through this blog, stumbled upon a few handfuls of valuable new relationships. With parts of myself, with my camera, with writing, with ruby, with my home, with the day to day minutae that is so different when your first thought in reaction to any quirky event, positive or negative, is "I could totally blog this ... ".

I have published about 150 posts. I have written many more - as mental drafts, sketched out on scraps of paper at the back of my mind. They have often made unbearable moments bearable.

Equally precious though are the relationships I have with real live Other People. Friends who now know me better than I used to know myself. People I have drunk coffee with, cried with, laughed with, chatted online with, shared meals with, even been on holiday with. I went into my recent surgery calming myself with the knowledge that a wonderful group of people from the meditation blog I joined were, in their different time zones all over the world, meditating simultaneously and holding me in their thoughts. How beautiful is that?

I have read wisdom, poetry, funny stories, terrible pain and miraculous insight. I have ached with others in their struggles, been made braver by their honesty and feel quite encouraged about the much larger numbers of lovely people than I had imagined existed!

It's been a pants year in so many respects - but this blog and the friends I have made through it have been so positive that I don't think I would change it if I could.

Big huge kisses and cuddles and thank yous to all of you. (Ms M and Cas you can have yours in person, the rest of you will have to take them virtually for now :) )

xx

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Kahless said...

Happy birthday to your blog. I have certainly enjoyed reading your daily straying over the last few months and it has encouraged me to venture into blogland myself.

03 June, 2007 20:39  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

That is a lovely warm piece of writing Stray and although I'm new to blogging I feel that I have been accepted in the short time I've been here. and would hope to in a years time feel as cared for as you do. As it has already given me lots

03 June, 2007 21:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one stray, and happy blog-birthday! I too am just starting to discover a slight change in mindset that you mention, as in, "I could blog about this."

Your encouragement (whether you realise it or not) was, like Ms M's and one or two other noteworthy individuals, a factor in me setting up my own.

03 June, 2007 22:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy blogday. Your Daily Straying is compulsive reading, long may it continue

04 June, 2007 07:17  
Blogger Jean said...

Happy first blog birthday! May it continue to enrich your life, as it certainly has mine. And I'm so pleased to have met you here.

04 June, 2007 14:41  
Blogger The Moon Topples said...

Wishing you the happiest of Blog birthdays, dear Stray. Yours is a special place.

Looking forward to year two.

04 June, 2007 15:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Darlink,

Hope your meet up day has been true celebration, my goodness the three of you together the mind boggles but think the heart smiles even broader.

Wales is bathed in Med sunshine today, or at least the valley is. We three are off for an adventure this evening to the cinema, well we are going to the beach and I am going to the cinema can you just imagine Rnb sitting down to watch 'the science of sleep' without wanting to kiss everyone else in the cinema.

A year eh, a fine year of exploring and not turning away from the beauty as well as the shit.

I am thankful that beauty in many guises walked into my life when you said hello and I am still glad this moment. Keep walking gal and most of all keep breathing:0)
Much love RnB, D-W and Flo

04 June, 2007 16:36  
Blogger But Why? said...

Stray,

Many happy returns to your blog. You deserve to be a very proud parent.

Daily Straying never ceases to amaze me, whether by the fiendish creativity of a Sunday afternoon challenge, or the brutally honesty glimpses of otherwise invisible parts of your psyche. It's a wonderful gift from and of yourself.

Thankyou for sharing xx

04 June, 2007 18:22  
Blogger Caroline said...

Loved meeting you and roooooobeeeeeeeeeeee today. You're a star and you twinkle most brightly.
Hugs (virtual and real)
Cas x

04 June, 2007 18:24  
Blogger Pants said...

Congratulations on your anniversary Stray - I draw your attention to,

'It's been a pants year in so many respects - but this blog and the friends I have made through it have been so positive that I don't think I would change it if I could.'

That sounds nice

xxx

Pants (window is open btw)

04 June, 2007 19:27  
Blogger Ms Melancholy said...

Lovely Stray,

I loved my cuddles today, from the both of you. I am so very glad to have you in my life. Happy bloggy birthday honey.

xxxx

04 June, 2007 20:50  
Blogger Stray said...

thank you thank you thank you!

I still feel all hugged :)

Sooooo glad lurkers have delurked and trousers is blue (normally) and and and ...

*sigh*

:)

04 June, 2007 20:53  
Blogger Probably the best blog in the world said...

Hi mate,

I know exactly where you are coming from. Blogging has been great therapy for me, I've come to know you and Badger better, and I've met Ms M, anticant, Drak, The Purple One, and many others. Plus it has helped me to come to terms with being trans and my new blog is being used to educate a womens support group volunteers about how m to f trans women identify as women whether pre op or post op. Which is wicked! Blogging rules. Gutted you couldn't pop to Manchester on your way back from meeting Caz and Ms M but will hope to see you in the flesh soon. xxx

05 June, 2007 01:06  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Stray, it has been my pleasure to get to know you through this blog and through the meditation group. You are a bright spirit. Happy Blogversary!

05 June, 2007 05:10  
Blogger Miss Tickle said...

Stray I am so pleased to have stumbled upon you of late and I will continue to stumble upon you (With your permission) for as long as you are ace. Which surely will be for ages... x

05 June, 2007 12:45  
Blogger Stray said...

thank you!

Miss tickle, feel free to stumble away ...

:)

06 June, 2007 14:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home