Saturday, March 31, 2007

Inexplicably linked

It's funny how historical events get wrapped up with things they have no business being involved with.

Tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of the true beginning of The Falklands War. Well, it's actually the 2nd of April ... but the ceremony is tomorrow.

And it makes me think of ... The Nit Nurse.

When I was six, I don't think there was a lot of definition between Bad Things. Having not yet developed a spectrum of fears and disappointments, The Nit Nurse and the fact that we were at war probably raised similar levels of anxiety in my monochromatic brain.

John Craven broke the news of the invasion with the same sincerity and heavy tone of voice that my primary teacher used to announce the inspection.

Two boys in the class were crying. One had nits, the other's dad was a soldier. I can't remember that I felt more sorry for one than the other.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Random Reflections said...

At the age of six it is probably better to be more worried by nits than by war. I'm pleased to see that you took nits seriously though.

We used to have this nit lotion that was really fast acting and you'd end up with the nits desperately trying to escape it by running down your forehead and neck. There was no escape though...

I met John Craven once, I even got his autograph, sadly I now no longer know where it is.

01 April, 2007 00:04  
Blogger The Moon Topples said...

This is a beautiful post. I assume nits are the same as lice, or at least similar. I was in third grade when the Fauklands thing kicked off, and I can recall our teacher trying to get us to talk about it some, but we were all ignorant American schoolchildren and eventually she went back to trying to get us to learn math. What did she expect? We were nine years old.

I loved the last post as well, but didn't want to mar it with my footprints.

And, of course, leaving a post about your vagina collage up for so long is really cruel to your male readers. Some of us cannot comment intelligently about such things, or would be afraid of seeming impolite.

01 April, 2007 08:44  
Blogger Stray said...

RR - you made me shudder! Not for the first time this week I note ...

Maht - yes, nits and lice are the same thing. Ug. I think at nine probably long division and war are equally incomprehensible.

Please don't ever worry about footprints. In my house you can skateboard and heely indoors and you only have to take your shoes off if it's really really muddy.

I'm sorry I tortured you with the whole collage thing. I won't even use the V-word. It was a thoughtless thing to do ...! Believe me ... it won't happen again.

Sx

01 April, 2007 18:25  
Blogger Random Reflections said...

Sorry about that, I don't really know you well enough to be having that sort of effect on you. I will try and show more self-control in future.

01 April, 2007 18:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home