Monday, May 07, 2007

What's in a name?


... that which we call a nose
By any other name would smell as sweet;


I talk a lot of nonsense to my dog. Soppy stuff. Were you this cute last night? I'm not sure you were - did you just wake up cuter this morning?

Don't worry, I cringe too.

It's true though. In spite of regularly updating her 'The naughtiest things I have ever done' list, Ruby draws more affection from me with every passing day. And yet that seems impossible, because I'm sure that right now I already love her as much as it is possible to love a dog.

I have been wondering. Is it that, like pain, we cannot hold love in mind completely? Do we experience it with freshness even when it is a repetition of a previous experience? Is this, like our fast fading memories of agony, because if we did not forget then we would stop still; completed by love just as we would be consumed by pain?

Or, is it more like my gmail account? Today I am using a proportion of my 2457 MB, and tomorrow, by magic, I will have available 2582 MB. Is my heart expanding - forever slowly growing like my hair and nails?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, thankfully.

08 May, 2007 07:55  
Blogger Ms Melancholy said...

oh, so very, very lovely. I think anon is right. And Ruubeeeee is just too perfect.

xxx

08 May, 2007 08:20  
Blogger XXYXX said...

If only Ruby could take a lovely picture of your nose.

Hmmm, I might be missing the point again.

I think Ms Mmmmm is right about anon being right. You see, being right doesn't stop just because someone else was right before you. And loving doesn't stop just because you've loved before.

Each day you can drench yourself in love. Especially once you can share your "The naughtiest things I have ever done" list.

I did that with a new friend and now we love each other more, even though my nasty things were scary big man nasty {shudder}.

08 May, 2007 10:24  
Blogger sheepish said...

How very perceptive, you could easily write a short story about how love grows?
And Ruby looks as if "butter wouldn't melt" but then so do my dogs sometimes.

08 May, 2007 14:05  
Blogger Dale said...

It's a good question, but I don't know the answer. Sometimes it dwindles, too, or seems to, and sometimes it's there but locked under glass, where I can see it but can't reach it.

But mostly, yes, it seems to grow, especially when I'm not looking.

love is the crooked thing
There is nobody wise enough
To find all all that is in it
For she would be thinking of love
Till the stars had run away
And the shadows eaten the moon

08 May, 2007 17:35  
Blogger Stray said...

anonymous - phew! That's good to know :)

Ms M - I'm glad you liked it and didn't find me sickly sweet. Yes - I do increasingly believe that Ruby is just perfect!

Bobo - lovely to see you (I do miss you at the weekends) - nice parallel. You may continue to be right even if other people are right after as well :)

I'm afraid it's Ruby's list. We can share though that today she stole and ate half a loaf of fresh-baked home-made bread. She has good taste.

Sheepish - yes! I could :) If only I'd thought of it in time! Does this mean Ruby is my muse?

Dale - what a lovely quote. And I liked what you said about it being under glass. I have days like that, and, more frequently, days when it is me who is behind glass.

Sx

08 May, 2007 23:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home