Friday, October 13, 2006

podcasting ...

This is what I was writing ...

I shall be casting my iPod into the bin I fear.

It's been a fantastic three years (or more? ) together, but last night the hard drive began stuttering ominously. Today I have restored, rebooted and reformatted many times. There has been false hope ... a momentary recovery ... swiftly followed by disappointment.

What I need is some tech support. Unfortunately, I am the tech support. And I have diagnosed that it is definitely a hard drive failure. It makes a nasty whirring noise and I can feel it shuddering in my hand.


And then ... I thought, as I ended that sentence ... 'maybe I will just give it a bloody good whack'. So I did. Smacked it really hard with the palm of my hand, so hard that it stung - which shouldn't have surprised me as it is made of metal ... and I plugged it in. Amused at my ridiculous last ditch efforts.

And now ... it is happily responding to my every whim.

And to think ... I nearly put it on freecycle for spares.

Like in all such situations, I am happier than I would ever have been had it never stopped working in the first place. Delirious :)

***

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Udge said...

Glad it's working still/again, but: if you have music on it that's not on your Mac, you might well want to get that backed up. senuti is a tool for copying from iPod to Mac (like the name suggests, it reverses iTunes)

13 October, 2006 20:54  
Blogger Mary said...

:-)

14 October, 2006 05:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the laugh this morning. As rattler of phones, shaker of radios and hitting the top of a TV when I owned one I understand your satisfaction completely also have to say am gratified that a techie whizz like yourself finds the slap of hand to be the height of intervention:0)

14 October, 2006 09:44  
Blogger Stray said...

Thanks Udge! Luckily I'm a programmer, and I keep back ups of my back ups, though I didn't include my music in the last one I did, and I will do that today - all the music is on my computer (and the cds in boxes in a cupboard, but wouldn't that be a drag!).

senuti is a real find though! Thanks for that!

Mary - thanks, glad to provide a smile :)

DW, yes, even those of us who can speak in numbers are forced to resort to small acts of directed violence from time to time :)

15 October, 2006 11:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From reports I've read, an awful lot of people have had their ipods die on them before or just past the one-year guarantee time. But Apple refuses to do anything about it, saying that there are millions of satisfied customers. Maybe you could publicize the Smack the Ipod technique?

17 October, 2006 19:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home