Wednesday, September 27, 2006

You couldn't make it up ...

Some drama is on the TV. The music fades up, and a familiar voice sings ...

Imagine me and you, I do
I think about you day and night, it's only right
To think about the girl you love and hold her tight
So happy together


And my housemate, 22, says "I like this song - I love Jason Donovan!" (click here if you are lucky enough not to be familiar with the 90s UK soap/pop pin-up).

When I had stopped laughing long enough to type, I found that The Turtles' hit Happy Together is the 44th most performed song of the 20th Century. Up there with Mrs Robinson and Let it Be. Who'd have thunk it.

Great song though.

***

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

One of those songs that I find myself grooving on, and then alternate being pleased and being appalled that I'm pleased, for the next three minutes.

So happy together --
How is the weather...


If I remember right, that made it into Dave Barry's list of all time worst lyrics of songs :-)

27 September, 2006 19:18  
Blogger MB said...

Stray, I read this post yesterday and THAT SONG was going through my head ALL DAY afterwards. Yikes! It's an earworm!!!

28 September, 2006 14:38  
Blogger Mary said...

It takes me back, Stray. The Turtles. *sigh*

28 September, 2006 21:50  
Blogger Stray said...

an earworm! indeed!

See, Dale, I think it's one of those songs that you can groove on as long as you can name the artist and the album :)

xx

28 September, 2006 22:25  
Blogger MB said...

I have a confession to make. This song has now been stuck in my head for three days and two nights. I wake in the middle of the night to find it threading through dreams and waking moments. Ay, ay, ay! How do I get rid of this?

29 September, 2006 23:38  
Blogger Stray said...

I've a feeling the only true cure for an earworm is to feed it to a bigger, badder earworm.

I'd like to suggest some, but that might be counter productive! I think you need some quality time with your iPod / record collection.

xx

30 September, 2006 14:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home