Friday, July 14, 2006

Friday cat bloggin' : on a diet


Ophelia asks: Does my bum look big in this?

Ophelia sits in the last box to be unpacked. That's it. I officially live here.

She needs to lose half a kilo. She's on the 'lite' cat biscuits, though I'm not sure she doesn't like them better. They seem to have a more satisfying ccccrrrrunch to them.

I, on the other hand, need to lose about 2.5 metric tons.

I moved here in a 7.5 ton truck. Which wouldn't fit up the narrow track approaching our new home. We had to ferry the contents from the bottom of the lane to the top, where our house nestles in the trees, in a transit van. It was exhausting, but most of all I feel anchored by the weight of my possessions. I am determined to leave here in a 3.5 ton luton van. One load. And judging by the room left in the giant truck last time, I estimate I weighed about six tons on arrival.

The plan of attack is three fold. The cat will lose her half a kg. I will stop gaining weight by creatively reusing the resources I already have. And I will give away the remainder. The 2.5 tons less half a kg.

I am giving it away on Freecycle. I have finally realised that I don't need to keep everything just in case because when I need it, someone will be there in the network to give it to me. I am setting my possessions free. Free to exist more purposefully elsewhere.

I am also recycling with renewed vigour, having visited the local recycling center yesterday and found it awash with attractive lesbians. Of course. That's where you find them round here ...

4 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Clews said...

When I moved from Vancouver back to Toronto, my stuff filled a 22' van to the rafters - it took 5 men 5 hours to load everything. All that's been in storage for a year and I've received so many daily living necessities through Freecycle. Dishes and carpets and pillows and high speed cable even. I gave away a lot of stuff to Freecycle members before I moved too. I think it's a fabulous way to recycle. I like the way you are approaching decluttering - there's no worry about not having what you need because someone through Freecycle will be able to offer it. Oh, there are such wonderful ways around and through the exchange of goods and energies of capitalism! The giving and receiving of a system like Freecycle is what underlies our economic system, something surely we'd forgotten as a commercialized culture.

I love this post.

15 July, 2006 12:58  
Blogger Stray said...

Thanks Brenda!

As it sit here I am waiting for people to collect wine racks (no longer required as I am now tee-total), two side tables, a CPU trolley and a bedside cabinet.

I'm also waiting to hear back about a composting bin which we could use, and a broken but usable laptop that will be perfect for my flatmate to use just for chatting on msn and stuff in her room late at night.

It has just given me a whole new attitude to 'stuff'. We needed planting tubs to seed some vegetables and salads, and instead of going to the garden center we've found some old wheels that have been fly-tipped, which we've lined with plastic, and drilled holes in some emptied plastic drawer units which were even beyond freecycling.

Screw capitalism. Me and capitalism are so over.

15 July, 2006 18:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a thought.. are you sure you want a recycled lesbian?

As to decluttering.. I have left a trail of literally a tonne or so of metalwork around the country as it gets shedded or garaged and I leave it behind.. One day all my tools and objects are going to come home to roost. I just hope I have nest big enough for them.. I can see it now:

"OFFERED: Reproduction 16th Century Firesway. Handforged. Double original size. Will not post."

18 July, 2006 22:46  
Blogger Stray said...

hi g! good to see you again!

Drak ... welcome. I'm pretty certain I want a recycled lesbian ... because I've had a brand new one before and you just never know what you're getting!

:)

18 July, 2006 23:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home