Sunday, July 16, 2006

Bridges 101


I need to build some bridges.

In my new neighbourhood I know precisely two human beings, two cats and one dog, and I live with all of them. I had a plan for generating a new social network when I arrived here, but for various reasons that hasn't panned out. Plan A was still useful - without Plan A I don't think I would have had the courage to up sticks and leave behind almost everyone I knew, but now I need a Plan B.

So, I am checking out the local adult learning stuff ... with the question "Who else might take a course like this?" ringing in my ears all the while.

So you think you can't draw? is the provocative title of one course ... and yes, I would certainly fit into that category, but I'm not sure I want to spend all my time hanging around with other people who can't draw either. Mmm. I'm going to take this class anyway, mostly because it scares the hell out of me, but it would be nice to have some Others around who can help with my homework in that department. I don't know why, but I really like people who can draw.

Ok, how about Creative Writing ... oh dear, there are 3 levels, am I a beginner or an intermediate? And who the hell is available at 10 am on a weekday morning? Ok, me, but these theoretical Others who are going to be my New Friends ... do I really expect them to have nothing in their diaries on a Tuesday? No. No. The Others will have jobs. That's out then.

So, ok, we're getting somewhere. The Others have jobs, or some sort of occupation at least, and they can already draw (or think they can). I've already established the queer-positive skew of the population attending the recycling center, but I can't very well hang around there all day every day. Just a few times a week or people will think it suspicious.

I used to belong to a football team in London, so I thought that was a possible avenue, but having looked at the pictures of the three local teams online, I find that, in contrast to the women I played with in the big smoke, they are all 18 years old with ponytails. Neither of these was on my checklist.

I have checked out the various organised groups for women and gay women around here. The trouble is, I'm just not Anything enough. I'm not Jewish, Catholic, Vegan, Under 25 or Over 40. I don't have a disability. I am not a single parent.

Ah. A reading group. Yes, I can read. Better - an over 30 women's reading group where I get to be the baby again - this feels good, as I'm the old hag in the house I live in. I want to be the one who can say "sorry, I don't remember that ... I was only three ... ".

So. Art classes for insecure wannabe sketchers. Youth affirming reading group. And, one final piece of the puzzle: Dog obedience classes. I mean, who wouldn't want to be my friend when I have a doggie who loves life as much as this:



Any further suggestions for meeting interesting open minded people gratefully received :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Daisy-Winifred said...

Ok, this is me suggesting this...go along to Ottakars on Tuesday evening and if you can't you can and if you can you will! Huh, there's a Knit and Natter evening 7pm, hey if the needles and yarn are no great attraction just think women and books ha-ha.But you probably know about this as there is a reading group there too I believe.

Can't believ you were not in the water with Ruby, or were you?

16 July, 2006 22:19  
Blogger Stray said...

wow! thanks - ottakars had totally passed through my web searches.

Funnily enough I don't think I can make this tuesday's knit and natter - I am going to a nature evening about the nightlife of pewley downs! Bats and moths and glow worms are promised ...

But - the book club is a definite possibility, and the knitting group would be something I'd love to do in future. I was a pretty good knitter when I was a kid, though haven't touched needles since I was about nine :) you'll have to remind me!

Lx

16 July, 2006 22:51  
Blogger Stray said...

ooh - and no, I wasn't in the water ... but if I'd had my togs I would have been :)

x

16 July, 2006 23:15  
Blogger Daisy-Winifred said...

oh darlink, you have your togs with you all the time...birthday suit is really made for the activity:0)

17 July, 2006 06:50  
Blogger Stray said...

hee hee!

Well, apart from the fact that I am excruciatingly shy about my physical being ... this is the main River into Guildford, and immediately behind where Jen took the picture was a constant stream of walkers, mostly families with small children. So, I think that would have gone down brilliantly right up to the moment when I got arrested ;)

17 July, 2006 09:03  
Blogger Brenda Clews said...

This was fun, the post and the comments. Knitting, books and swimming in the buff in a fairly public place :) You'll make lots of friends, Stray. Can't imagine otherwise. xo

20 July, 2006 00:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home