Sunday, August 20, 2006

Don't quote me ...

This morning, driving back from Wales, I was listening to Desert Island Discs on Radio 4, and AA Gill said something so wonderful, so moving and so overspilling with previously unrecognised truth, that I made a mental note to make sure to post it here.

And then I forgot it.

Ho hum.

It was good though, and the best DID I've heard in a while - so if you're near a radio or the interwebimajig at 9am on Friday, do tune in to hear the repeat of the show. For reasons best explained by Chasing Daisy you can't get the show as a podcast or on the BBC's listen again service.

I will try to record it myself on Friday and ahem share it a little perhaps.

...

and now, I am off to come up with my own list. 8 tunes, 1 book, 1 luxury.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I too thought this was a really lovely programme - interesting, gentle, quirky, touching, unexpected, endlessly evocative. Much to my surprise, as I'm NOT generally a fan of his. Not sure if he revealed himself in unprecedented ways or if I've been blinded to his merits by my own political prejudices - I certainly the the impression he was rather sour and elitist and not much to my taste. I think I'll have to have another look.

21 August, 2006 17:34  
Blogger Stray said...

Thanks Jean ... yes, I've never been a fan of his either. But the openness with which he spoke about some really quite difficult issues, and the lack of drama or self-indulgence around his revelations touched me too.

I want to re-read his stuff now that I realise that he's not taking any of it quite as seriously as I might have imagined :)

21 August, 2006 17:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had barely heard of the guy - some vague notion he was an elderly right-winger - so the AA Gill on the programme was a surprise. And I was very impressed by the things you both have mentioned - one of the best DID of recent times - that I can remember, anyway. I'll look forward to your comments, when you get to listen to it tomorrow. Thanks for your comment on my blog

24 August, 2006 12:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home