Friday, June 23, 2006

Curiosity killed the Cat-owner



It's this way!

I let Ruby lead me on a wander through the wooded banks that surround the new house. She seemed to know where she was going, and I was curious as to where she'd adventured yesterday, so I tried to keep up, and she impatiently waited from time to time ... until we reached the path at the top of the quarry. She trotted confidently round the edge, and I followed until the walkable lip became too narrow for my nerves. I shouted her to lead me down, and she seemed to know what was being asked ... but now I was in a pickle because she bounded down on four legs set to "Mountain Goat", whilst I had only two, one for slipping and one for sliding it would seem.

I took some photos but they were blurred by my shaking. The view from the top was magnificent but slightly tainted by my awareness of how high up I had climbed and how far down I could fall ...

I can't say it was elegant or rapid, but my descent was at least effective. Safely back chez Ruby, she had an enthusiastic drink of water. I think I could do with a brandy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for making me laugh out loud in recognition. Exploring and discovering just comes naturally to our four legged friends but they are not always aware of the human dangers that can cause adventure to become disaster.
I've literally crawled along a few tecaks after Mr Bryn when he was younger and the mountain goat mode is always one to put us firmly in our two legged lackness place:0)
Lovely photo's of Ruby, she is ging to have such fun in her new world I am sure, how grey were you before you moved in?:0)
Daisy-Winifred

24 June, 2006 07:56  
Blogger Stray said...

Thanks D-W :) Glad to know I am not the only foolhardy pet-follower on the planet!

It did indeed make me realise why Ruby is constantly trying to reassure me that infact She is more suitable to be the leader than me :)

It's one of those moments the fact that I bear more than a passing resemblance to a 14 year old boy rather than a 30 year old woman is a blessing. Any neighbours or passers by who happened to catch sight of me teetering along the edge probably simply thought "oh that lad is up to adventures". Of course this does reduce the likelihood of rescue!

She is having a ball, I am having kittens. I think I had identified about half a dozen grey hairs in the run up to my 30th birthday. I wouldn't hazard a guess now, but perhaps it's no coincidence that last week I suddenly found myself shaving it all off ... !

Stray x

24 June, 2006 11:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home